My dogs are mischievous. I am hard of hearing so sometimes I can be a little slow on the upswing if I can't hear what is going on outside. So this afternoon the dogs asked to be let out around their usual time. They seemed super excited and anxious to get out there. They love to "play" with the neighbor dogs through our fence and I thought, "Wow, they are excited!!". Well, as soon as I opened the door they shot out like lightening. Right out of our yard. The gate door was open because our lawn guy was here mowing and I didn't know because I didn't hear him. So my dogs were thinking, "FREEDOM! FREEDOM!!". So I yell for them in vain, close the back door, run out the front door to see our little Pomeranian, Rocky, having the time of his life running down the street. I didn't see our Abby. Now the two times they have gotten out together they have stuck together. Not this time. All I saw was Rocky running for all his might. So I am yelling, "Rocky, TREAT!!!!". Those are his magic words. He stopped in his tracks, looked at me (he's looking to see if I have treats in my hand, this isn't his first rodeo), sees that I do, runs for me and gets into the house. I give him his treat and run back outside. Our lawn guy is standing at the side of our house looking at me and I say, "?Perro, aqui? Abby, grande perro. ?Aqui?" in the little Spanish I can remember from high school. He starts laughing and points to the backyard. He had gotten our Abby back into the backyard because she had stopped to see him. She has always been a very social dog. So what could have been an all evening nightmare turned into a 10 minute ordeal. Yay! Thank goodness!
See, this looks like a dog you can trust. However, Abby was bred for speed and unending energy. She is a German Short hair Pointer, Britney Spaniel Mix. All energy, all of the time. She can run as fast as a greyhound. For long distances. For long times. So we got a Pomeranian:

Rocky. Who is trouble in every sense of the word. Who is also Love in every sense of the word. This dog is smart. Very smart. Then at times can look bewildered at the simplest things. He makes me laugh when I am not frustrated with him.
Abby loves her Kongs like people love chocolate. You can look at her and say, "Where is your Kong?", she will cock her head to the side (which she always does when you talk to her making it look like she is trying to understand you) and then run and go get it so you can play with her with it. Those Kongs have kept them company for hours and I highly recommend them.

He can't carry Abby's Kongs. He tries but they are too big for him. So he has his own little Kong which Abby sometimes takes from him. So he will dart in and take a stuffed animal from her mouth and run away fast. Little revenges like this can go on all day long. They are best buds.
No comments:
Post a Comment