09 February 2008

I had my stress test yesterday. First, let me say, I never want to go through that again! Because of my spinal stenosis due to my dwarfism my cardiologist decided to have me do an IV stress test rather than a tread mill stress test. I was already very nervous, but the stuff they give you is powerful!! You get your IV and you are just nervously chatting along when they decide to up the pump of medicine coming in. Next thing you know your heart feels like it is going to EXPLODE out of your chest or just stop beating period because it is beating so hard. You get flushed, you start sweating, your head hurts and I became ill. This is the begining. They have to get your heart rate up to a certain number BEFORE they can stop the medicine. I was freaking out! Finally they stop the medicine, immedietly do a cardiac sonogram and it took me 6 minutes to get "recovered" from the medicine. In other words, my heart returned back to its normal beating pattern.
I am blessed because my heart is in great shape. It is amazing how well your body works and how you can go through something like that medicine and it doesn't harm you, your body just recovers. The cardiologist says my heart is great, he has no worries and that basically he is done being my doctor unless something else comes up. So I am very relieved. I have more of an understanding though of people who are struggling with heart issues, because it is scary. Going through that medicine also showed me how much stress you can put your heart through, how scary it feels when something is wrong and how much you are not in control of your body, but how much you truly are in control of your body. I hope that makes sense. I hope I never, ever have to go through that test again, but I am glad I did. My worries are eased a bit and now I know what must be done.
I couldn't find a picture of a heart online that I liked and then I realized I do have a picture of my heart on my computer.


No comments: