10 April 2009

Julia has a really good friend, Abby, who is hearing impaired along with her little brother, Carter. Well, recently we were in the living room and Julia just randomly, out of nowhere, without any discussion about it going on around her or ever really being mentioned....just told us that her friend Abby doesn't talk as much as her. We explained that Abby has a difficult time hearing and sometimes when she isn't speaking with her voice she is speaking with her hands using sign language. Julia found this very interesting so we started teaching her the few signs we knew off of the top of our heads...mommy, daddy, milk, eat, mad, I, love, you, sorry, bath, the alphabet....those kinds of things. While she and I were playing in their playroom later she wanted to go over them again and then wanted me to take pictures while she did "I love you". Now, we taught her to point to herself when she says, "I" but this time she used the letter instead because she was also trying to learn how to do the three finger sign for "I love you". She wanted to show Abby and Carter, too. I am so proud of her! Instead of acting like this was something weird she embraced it and now is wanting to learn so she can talk more with Abby and Carter.

No comments: