09 September 2012
I've never been a person who takes adventures solo. If I was going to be brave I'd do it with someone else. I've never lived on my own and supported myself, I've never approached a guy and given him my phone number, I've never ridden a roller coaster alone....you get the picture, there are a lot of nevers on my list of never done alone.
So driving from Texas to Wisconsin alone was something that intimidated me slightly. What if something happened? What if I got a flat? What if???? However, on Friday I packed up my car at 6 o'clock in the morning and after a couple of setbacks set out to drive 17+ hours alone on a new adventure. I thought I'd be able to tackle the whole trip in one day but after 12 hours on the road I was getting kind of tired. I was wired from the trip, the junk food, the many kind calls and emails checking on me and my progress, but overall, I was getting tired. So I stayed in Des Moines, Iowa. Des Moines definitely has a small town feel to it and I loved getting to relax in my suite and get some sleep.
On my drive I had so much time to just think. Think about if I was attaining the goals I am striving towards, if there are other things I should be focusing on, if I staying true to who I am always, if I am being the kind of person I want to be. I also got to be silly and sing at the top of my lungs to some of my favorite songs while sipping on orange soda (throwback from my childhood) and eating a little bit of junk food. What good is a road trip if you can't eat a little bit of junk food???
One of the things that impressed me was the just amazing beauty of the trip. I saw cows sunning themselves, rolling hills, deep valleys, forests, plains, farms, people, rocks that had years of traditions of being spray painted on, wind mills creating electricity, and much more. I tried to take pictures from my car driving umpteenth miles per hour out the window but most did not turn out as well as the one above. I am so happy that one turned out well because I really liked seeing traditional red barns and silos.
I've made it safely to my friend's home, I am embarking on a new adventure alone, and I am doing my best to do all that must be done. I am so grateful for friends who love me. I am missing people in Texas but here is where I need to be for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment