26 May 2009


One of my most favorite things of all time to do with Julia and Bryce is bedtime. Throughout Julia's life we have had a tradition that is now also including Bryce that when I am at their house during bath time/bedtime I am included in the routine. It started with Julia and so has been happening for almost four (!) years now.
We do bath time with Julia and Bryce, I get one of the kids (now usually Bryce) out and dried off and begin getting them dressed for bed. Julia comes out of the bath, dresses herself (because she's a big girl and doesn't need any help, thank you very much! *sniff* sniff*) and then Julia and I head into her room for bedtime.
She picks out two or three books while I light her lamp, hops into bed with blanky and books. I climb in, cover her up, convince her she must lay down while being read to, lie down beside her and story time commences. Sometimes she gets on a kick of wanting to read the same stories over and over, sometimes she varies it up. Just depends on her mood. I read to her while she looks at the book using all of the different voices of the characters. Sometimes Bryce and Amanda join us for a few minutes but usually Amanda is getting Bryce to sleep in another room. Then as we are finishing up our stories Amanda comes in and lays on the other side of Julia and either also reads or listens and cuddles with Julia. Then story time is over and we cuddle.
Julia and I play our "I love you more than....." tradition. "I love you more than all of the stars in the sky", I may say and she will respond with, "I love you more than chocolate" or something. A few times I have been told she loves me more than blanky!!! Wow!! That is huge.
Then it is time for prayer. Julia picks who she wants to say it and it is always different. Sometimes Amanda, sometimes me. We all cuddle together and pray. Then there is just a little more cuddling and I love you's, sometimes a review of the day and then I get down and go downstairs while Amanda and Julia have some mommy and daughter time.
This is some of my most favorite times with Julia, Bryce and Amanda. The memories and love shared are forever. The cuddles, love, hugs, laughs and wiggly baby while trying to put a diaper on are priceless.
I am so grateful to my sister for allowing me to share this with them. I didn't realize how precious the little things are until she had Julia. It is the little things. Of course, their are big things but the little things add up and you end up with traditions that become very close to your heart.
I also didn't know how two little babies could take over your heart so completely that you didn't even know that much love existed in the world and that your whole world becomes them because that is what makes you happy. They laugh or smile and you are happy because they are happy. Every cry, hurt or boo boo becomes your heartbreak too. You become a grizzly bear when you think someone is hurting them (even if it is a 5 year old...hahaha! Ya'll know what I am talking about!). I just didn't know. I didn't know how much it would expand when Bryce was born. I was afraid I couldn't love him as much as I love Julia. How silly was I?!? Your heart just grows.
So, thanks, Amanda and John. Harry's and my life has been so enriched because we experience a monumental love that we wouldn't have been able to experience without the two of you allowing us. Harry every day talks about how much he loves Julia and Bryce and how awesome they are. It means the world to us!

1 comment:

Conny said...

Glad to see you back in blogland. You have been sorely missed! Also, I am so glad that you are getting to experience the joy that kids bring to your life. I love you that much, too. Mom