03 November 2009

A lesson in bribery:
Take a four year old and an almost 1 1/2 year old to Sam's. Shop for a long period of time because you have been on bed rest for a while and your sister's supplies are getting low, also. Watch as a slow decline in happiness and an incline in grumpiness begins to take over said children. Figure out way to finish shopping so you don't have to repeat this process any time soon.
Now, we asked for a SMALL blue icee and A slice of pizza. What we got was a humongous icee and two large slices of pizza. Bryce has this week discovered SUGAR(!!!!!). SUGAR is a GOOD thing in his mind. Sugar is awesome! Well, Amanda, Julia and Bryce were going to SHARE the icee and pizza. Bryce lost all interest in the pizza and totally focused on the icee. Now, the sugar love is not a surprising one. If you know his dad, John, and you know Julia at all you know their love of sugar knows no bounds. Julia was very unhappy with Bryce's unwillingness to share the icee. And he was unwilling. And angry when asked to share. However, since we have been teaching Julia to share for a long time and the importance of sharing with our little brother, she had a hard time figuring out why HE hadn't figured that out yet.
Bryce would get very upset when Julia tried to get a drink and would try to get it back as fast as he could.
Right at the end as we were checking out we gave Bryce my icee and Julia theirs. What I love is how Julia is cradling her icee AWAY from Bryce. Please, do not think we let the two of them drink two or even one whole icee. We didn't. Neither of those were ever finished and we all shared. Even Bryce.
However, it did make it possible for us to get our shopping done in a non-tantrum environment as quickly as we could. Yay!


What this story reminds me of:

I was a new aunt, Julia was only about 8 months old when myself, Harry, Amanda, John, Julia and Adam all went to Sea World in San Antonio. Harry and myself were living there with Adam living with us and Amanda's family came down for a visit. Well, at one point in the day every one decided to go ride a particular roller coaster that I couldn't due to height requirements and left me with Julia. I was as pleased as punch to take care of her. We had all been sipping on this large lemonade icee and it was getting low and I gave a drink to Julia. She LOVED it, of course. Well, I decided it's super hot and whatever my precious Julia wants, my precious Julia gets. (Again, I was new to the whole baby and aunt thing, I quickly learned) So she and I went and bought a new humongous lemonade icee and sat outside in the shade while I held it for her and let her drink the whole thing. I was so happy that she had figured out how to drink out of a straw and I just knew that Amanda and John would be excited too!!! When Amanda and John walked up and saw their little baby drinking this giant lemonade icee until it was almost finished they were a little shocked. Amanda couldn't believe that A) Julia had even liked lemonade B) that Julia's Aunt Kim would let her drink a big one by herself and C) that Julia finished it so quickly. I got into a little bit of trouble for that one. That is what Bryce reminded me of while I was watching him hold onto that cup for dear life. So funny!!!

No comments: