26 February 2010

So I was at my local mega mart picking up a few things when this parent with her mouth gaping while staring at me pulls her curious child away from me as if I am somehow going to infect her 6 year old with dwarfism. I am a dwarf, get over it. I am not green, blue or purple. I don't have 8 legs. I am just short. I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE that. The kid wasn't near me, wasn't in my way, wasn't going to be...just staring, which at that age is fine and it's even cooler when they come up and ask questions. What I don't understand is how their 6 year old can be better at this than they are?!?
Crazy me, I get embarrassed and don't say what I am thinking and become ashamed. What am I ashamed for? Because I was born a dwarf and now this lady is having to see me? Whatever. I am not like some LP's (little people) who can be down right nasty right back. I try not to be rude, but I think in doing this I have become too weak. I always think, "If I am rude, if I am hostile, then the next dwarf they meet they will assume is the same. Then all those stupid misconceptions about us continue." So I don't say anything. Then, I feel like an idiot because I didn't say anything and now I am embarrassed because I am short.

1 comment:

Mandie said...

I started reading the first three lines of your post and was thinking why would that woman do that and then I finished the fourth line and I was like, "oh yeah, Kim is a dwarf." I guess sometimes I just forget that about you, because to me you're not Kim the dwarf, you're Kim the cool chick. It really offends me when people do stupid stuff like that. Its ignorant and rude and you were the bigger person (hmm, how ironic) in this situation by not saying anything back.

Stand tall, girl.